Center Funding Opportunities
As a way to encourage meaningful research collaborations and to build capacity in injury research in the region, the U-M Injury Prevention Center sponsors an exploratory study funding program (see details below).
ANNOUNCING U-M INJURY PREVENTION CENTER 2022 EXPLORATORY PROJECT RFA
Injury is the leading cause of death for people 1 to 44 years old and the leading cause of potential years of life lost in the U.S. Successful approaches to decrease the burden of injury require innovation. The focus of the U-M Injury Prevention Center Exploratory Project awards is on building capacity in injury research in the region.
The U-M Injury Prevention Center (IPC) anticipates funding 3-6 one-year exploratory project awards in 2022 that have the greatest potential to advance injury prevention science.
Awards will be in the amount of either $25,000 or $50,000 per award, and are expected to have a focus on: a) the development and evaluation of primary prevention strategies, programs, and policies; and/or b) the dissemination, implementation, and translation of evidence-based injury prevention strategies.
Proposals should address topics as described in the Center for Disease Control Injury Research Agenda (https://www.cdc.gov/injury/researchpriorities/index.html).
The Injury Prevention Center is particularly interested in research on firearm injury prevention, adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), marijuana-related injury prevention, health disparities and injury prevention, and in applying emerging technologies to injury prevention; although other injury topics that will be considered include the prevention of:
- Opioid overdose
- Youth Violence (i.e., peer violence, intimate partner/dating violence, sexual assault)
- Motor Vehicle Crash
- Older Adult Falls
- Applicants are asked to submit a three-page proposal by 5 pm ET on August 16, 2021.
- The U-M Injury Prevention Center leadership team will review proposals and invite investigators of select proposals to present their proposal in October 2021.
- The selected investigators will be asked to pitch their proposal to a row of experts (Jump-Start Clinic – 15 minutes of presentation followed by 45 minutes of discussion). All investigators on the proposal are expected to attend this clinic (either virtually or in-person). Experts will provide feedback and select proposals will proceed to the next round.
- Investigators of the selected proposals will meet with IPC leadership in October or November 2021 (by appointment) to discuss a 6-page proposal submission.
- The six-page proposals will be due by December 6, 2021.
- IPC leadership will announce 3-6 funded exploratory project winners by mid-January, 2022. Those selected for funding will provide a written response to any required changes, if applicable.
How to Apply:
The full RFA and application instructions may be found on the UMMS (University of Michigan Medical School) Competition Space website at: https://umms.infoready4.com (See U-M Injury Prevention Center 2022 Exploratory Project Request for Applications).
- Application: Three-page proposals due 5:00 pm ET, Monday, August 16, 2021
- Jump-Start Clinic Presentations: Mid-October, 2021 (by appointment; for selected proposals only)
- Six-page Proposals: Due 5:00 pm ET, Monday, December 6, 2021 (selected proposals only)
- Notifications of Funding: to be communicated to funded study PIs by mid-January, 2022 (estimated)
Questions: Email Sonia Kamat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see the types of studies funded in the past, visit the Funded Research Projects section of our site.
To join our member list and hear about future exploratory study funding opportunities, click here.