Center Funding Opportunities
As a way to encourage meaningful research collaborations and to build capacity in injury research in the region, the U-M Injury Prevention Center sponsors an exploratory study funding program (see details below).
To see the types of studies funded in the past, visit the Funded Research Projects section of our site.
To join our member list and hear about future exploratory study funding opportunities, click here.
ANNOUNCING U-M INJURY PREVENTION CENTER 2019 EXPLORATORY PROJECT RFA
Injury is the leading cause of death for people 1 to 44 years old and the leading cause of potential years of life lost in the U.S. Successful approaches to decrease the burden of injury require innovation. The focus of the U-M Injury Prevention Center Exploratory Project awards is on building capacity in injury research in the region.
The U-M Injury Prevention Center (IPC) anticipates funding two one-year exploratory project awards in 2020 that have the greatest potential to advance injury prevention science.
Awards will be in the amount of $25,000-$50,000 per award, and are expected to have a focus on: a) development and evaluation of primary prevention strategies, programs, and policies; and/or b) dissemination, implementation, and translation of evidence-based injury prevention strategies.
Proposals should address topics as described in the Center for Disease Control Injury Research Agenda, https://www.cdc.gov/injury/pdfs/researchpriorities/cdc-injury-research-priorities.pdf.
There is particular interest in research on the prevention of opioid overdose, suicide, and adverse childhood experiences; although other injury topics that will be considered include the prevention of:
- Youth Violence (i.e., peer violence, intimate partner/dating violence, sexual assault)
- Motor Vehicle Crash
- Older Adult Falls
- Firearm Injury
- Applicants are asked to submit a two-page proposal by 5pm on January 13, 2020.
- The U-M Injury Prevention Center leadership team will review proposals and invite investigators of select proposals to present their proposal in February 2020.
- The selected investigators will be asked to pitch their proposal to a row of experts (Shark tank style – 15 minutes of presentation followed by 45 minutes of Q&A session). Experts will provide feedback and select 2-4 proposals to proceed to the next round.
- Investigators of the selected proposals will meet with IPC leadership in February 2020 (by appointment) to discuss a 6-page proposal submission. The six-page proposals will be due by April 15, 2020.
- IPC leadership will announce 1-2 funded exploratory project winners by May 15, 2020 (estimated). Those selected for funding will provide a written response to any required changes, if applicable.
How to Apply:
The full RFA and application instructions may be found on the UMMS (University of Michigan Medical School) Competition Space website at: https://umms.infoready4.com.
Application: Two-page proposals due 5 pm ET, Monday, January 13, 2020
Shark Tank-style Presentations: Friday, February 7, 2020 or February 14, 2020 (selected proposals only)
Six-page Proposals: Due 5 pm Eastern Time, Wednesday, April 15, 2020 (selected proposals only)
Funding decisions: to be communicated to funded study PIs by Friday, May 15, 2020 (estimated)
Please send questions to: Sonia Kamat at email@example.com.