Safe Storage & Disposal – Patient Resources
This section includes information on how to safely store and dispose of opioids and other medications to prevent misuse.
Talking to Patients About Safe Storage and Safe Disposal
- Visit this site for information on how to talk to your patients about safe storage/disposal of medications.
Safe Storage/Safe Disposal of Medications Around Children & Teens
Download these two infographics for information on where teens, adolescents and children (<5 years) obtain non-medical prescriptions, what products adolescents are using and what families can do to protect their children.
- Download this handout about where adolescents get non-medical prescription drugs and what families can do to protect adolescents.
Proper Disposal of Medications
- For an in-depth review in English or Spanish, please visit this site to learn about how to dispose of unused/expired medicine, take back options, disposal in the household trash, flushing certain medicines, the impact of flushing medicines, list of medicines recommended for flushing and frequently asked question and answers.
- This two-page handout provides guidelines for proper drug disposal, why these guidelines are necessary, environmental concerns with disposal and disposal of inhaler products.
- This film gives a simple step-by-step guide on how to dispose of over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription medications in a way that keeps them out of the hands of young children, prevents abuse, and is safe for the environment. Learn what medications can be disposed of at home as well as how to find community and Drug Enforcement Agency take-back programs.
- Learn more form the Alliance for Aging Research